Ethics and Leadership
Key leadership functions of the organisation, including the Board, are responsible for ensuring that ethics and the stated corporate values of the organisation have been effectively implemented.
This responsibility can reveal to be difficult, as the area of ethics and value enforcement is still a developing area which may sometimes appear abstract. Nevertheless, Boards and other leadership functions are expected to set the ethical tone of an organisation. Here are some of the ways they can do so:
- Reviewing, creating and agreeing on appropriate policies and procedures which ensure ethical behaviour for staff, senior management and Boards;
- Setting and establishing Codes of Conduct which communicate the expected standards of ethics, values and behaviour for the organisation;
- Communicating these standards in ethics to the organisation's stakeholders and the public;
- Supporting and requiring ethics programmes for staff or Boards if necessary;
- Leading by example by adhering to ethics values it has set in the conduct of all its business.