Secretary of the Board
Board Secretaries act as a support the Board and its committees in delivering their functions and duties smoothly and effectively. It is up to the Board to assign relevant function and responsibilities as it deems fit, therefore, some of responsibilities and duties of the Secretary may vary across sectors and organisations, but common roles and responsibilities of the Secretary include:
- Reporting to the Chairperson on all Board governance matters and assisting the Chairperson in ensuring relevant information is made available to the Board and its committees;
- Advising the Board on governance matters;
- Ensuring that the Board’s statutory obligations and regulations are complied with and executed;
- Ensuring, along with the Board, that good information flows within the Board and Committees and between senior management and non-executive Board members;
- Facilitating induction, mentoring and assisting with ongoing professional development as required for the Board;
- Ensuring that conflict of interests procedures are completed and line with the law and guidance.